Saturday, June 26, 2010

Oats Peak -- Montana de Oro State Park

Oats Peak is one of the more challenging hikes in the Montana de Oro State Park. With an elevation gain of 1,335 feet, it requires tenancity and drive to make it up and down the numerous hills one must climb before making to the summit. Having already dealt with one spill while hiking by myself earlier in the week, I disregarded my scrapes and bruises as I set out with Kathryn and Kiley to look Oats Peak in the eye once again.

The trail itself is made up of loose gravel and rock shards that aim to disrupt even the surest of footing. And while Kathryn hiked at a faster clip than I, never did I falter. Even after I reached the top of one peak, I took a deep breath and pressed on as I saw my destination -- two steep hills away. Occasionally I forced myself to stop and look at the stunning terrain surrounding me.

After one final push, I met Kathryn at the top, only to be met by gale force winds that forced us to shout if we wanted to communcate with one another. Our faces stung from the fine silt being tossed about by the wind. We stood in silence as we looked on at the setting sun's reflection on the ocean below us.
On the way back, I stepped in a hole that Oats had cleverly concealed on its trail. I took only a moment to brush myself off as I glanced at the new scrapes and bruises which paired nicely with the ones I already had.

Curiously, we met no other hikers on the Oats Peak trail, leaving me confident in our intrepidness. We rewarded our efforts by dipping our fatigued feet into the ocean's surf while Oats loomed over us, daring us to return.

Cool Points: 5
Intrepid Points: 6

2 comments:

  1. Bob tracked a wild animal in order to get a picture. I was reminded to Jim Hanna's adventures. I wonder if intrepitude is a genetic trait?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trail today was sun bathed, rugged in a nice way, complete with rattlers, some cow bones long ago picked clean and just at the East Boundary Trail (just over the fence the lands are so over-grazed!). The views are as advertised, our apples tasted far better at the peak, and the creek trail was flanked by flowers, oaks, madrone, willow. There were boar tracks, cat scat, fox as well. All this four miles from our home. S

    ReplyDelete